Revisiting the 2016 Mentorship Subcommittee Roadmap reminded us how important volunteerism is, especially as pertains to growing and developing our instructor pool. Our past Instructor Development Committee (formerly Mentorship Subcommittee) Co-Chairs (Jamie Hadwin, Marian Schmidt, Toby Hodges, and Christina Koch) worked hard to set the course for creating a positive, cohesive, diverse, and open worldwide community of instructors and helpers for The Carpentries. We owe our readiness to onboard the next leaders of the Instructor Development Committee (IDC) to the efforts of these four outgoing co-chairs, and thank them for their immense contributions!
The Instructor Development Committee was established to support instructors as they progress through training, teaching, curriculum development, and other community-related activities. The committee promotes community-building and networking by providing (virtual) spaces where instructors from all over the world can share success stories and discuss strategies for overcoming challenges while teaching.
Benefits of Leading the Instructor Development Committee
There are many benefits of leading the IDC. Some include:
- Collaborating with dedicated members of our community to help mentor and build community.
- Improving and creating new resources for our instructor and mentoring communities.
- Collaborating with amazing Carpentries instructors and instructors-in-training.
- Gaining experience in community organization.
- Learning more about how the Carpentries function as an organization.
Expectations of Instructor Development Committee Leaders
We understand how valuable your time is, so we’ve outlined an idea of what to expect when serving on the IDC:
- Host one of the two monthly Instructor Development Committee meetings.
- Spend an average of 2 hours/week working on IDC projects and communications.
- When possible, help host or co-host community discussions.
- Communicate challenges and opportunities with the Carpentries staff liaison.
We are looking to onboard the next IDC leaders. Interested in learning more? You are invited to attend an interest meeting at either 16h or 23h UTC on 3-April. Sign-up to attend on the instructor-development Etherpad. If you cannot attend this session, be sure to look for the recording on The Carpentries YouTube Channel.
If you’re ready and motivated to apply for a leadership role, we invite you to complete this short form.