The Carpentries is committed to training and fostering an active, inclusive, diverse community of learners and instructors who promote and model the importance of software and data in research. We seek an engaged and collaborative individual who shares this vision for a full-time position as the Communications Coordinator for The Carpentries.
As the Communications Coordinator, you will have a broad responsibility to develop and implement a communications strategy to support and engage The Carpentries community. You will audit and manage communication channels, create and publish content for our blog, newsletter, and social media, and organise fundraising and marketing campaigns. The Communications Coordinator will also develop and track metrics to understand the impact of our organisation, creating reports to disseminate broadly.
This posting is intentionally broad. We are not expecting experience with all components of the position. We are looking for someone with skills and perspectives that complement our existing team and an enthusiasm for the role and the goals and approaches of our organisation.
- Fluent English user (non-native English speaker preferred)
- Degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or equivalent experience
- Experience with social media and/or blogging
- Experience working with volunteer and/or online communities
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Effective and flexible communication skills
- Effective time management skills
- Experience working remotely (preferably with a globally distributed team)
- Experience working with Google Workspace tools (Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms)
- Confident touch typist or user of assistive typing software
Preferred Job Specifications
- Work authorisation in Mexico or a country in Central America, South America, or Southern Africa
- Native level fluency in a language used in Mexico or a country in Central America, South America, or Southern Africa, other than English
- Post-graduate degree or experience in communications
- Experience with intercultural or multi-linguistic communications
- Experience in marketing, advertising, or public relations
- Experience as a Carpentries community member
- Experience building or executing community campaigns
- Creative writing experience
- Graphic design experience
- Familiarity with the open-scholarship, open-source community
- Experience working with non-profit organisations or projects
Our team values openness, honesty, fairness, and transparency as the keys to fostering trust. We believe that the individuals who make up our community are the most important part of our organisation and our strongest resource. We strive to make decisions that prioritise people first and empower the growth and success of all who are part of our organisation. We value a growth mindset in all that we do and strive to be always improving and evolving ourselves and our methodologies, being receptive to feedback, responsive, curious, and willing to learn. We’re looking for people who are disability-confident, LGBTQIA+ affirming, and committed to a diverse work environment rooted in respect.
We’re a Core Team of 15 staff and independent contractors, with a nine-person Executive Council. We’re a fiscally sponsored project of the 501(c)3 Community Initiatives. We have a large community of instructors and contributors, and a much larger community of users. We use evidence-based teaching practices to teach the core skills for effective computational and data work, and we promote reproducible research and open science/open source widely. All interactions in The Carpentries community and spaces, both virtual and in-person, are governed by our Code of Conduct.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a remote position. All qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply, however, candidates with work authorisation in Mexico or a country in Central America, South America, or Southern Africa will receive priority consideration. This position is initially funded for one year, with the possibility of extension. For US-based candidates, compensation will be $65,600 - $87,600 USD annually, commensurate with experience. Outside the US, total compensation may need to be adjusted in accordance with legal and financial costs associated with international hiring and contracting for a US-based entity. We will make every effort to be transparent about the impact of costs on potential compensation during the interview process.
In the US, Community Initiatives offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision
- 401k with employer match
- Basic life insurance, AD&D, STD & LTD
- 4 weeks of vacation
- 12 paid holidays
- 4 floating holidays
Outside the US, Community Initiatives will make every effort to support the hiring or contracting of international workers, following all local laws related to employment and benefits, ensuring a competitive compensation package.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Carpentries is dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive environment for all people, regardless of background or identity. We are an equal opportunity employer and give consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, colour, religion, disability, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status or protected veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by US federal, state, or local law. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please clearly indicate the country in which you pay taxes.
If you need an accommodation or assistance submitting an application please contact email@example.com.
Applications received before 9 February at midnight anywhere on Earth (check deadline in your time zone) will receive full consideration.