Welcome to the Carpentries Community
We are happy that you are here! The Carpentries is an organisation that teaches foundational coding and data science skills to researchers worldwide using open software. It relies on volunteer contributions to support the community of practice whose members share our core values. This document is intended to help you get started in The Carpentries community by highlighting some key links and activities.
Where Do I Get Started?
Glad you asked! Here are a few things we recommend to everyone:
- Review the Code of Conduct: We are dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive environment for all people. By participating in this community, you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct.
- Attend a Welcome Session!: Join members of the Core Team and community to learn about the organisation, ways to engage, and an opportunity to have your questions answered.
How Do I Get Connected?
The Carpentries offers many options for connecting, collaborating and networking within the community. Worried about too many communications? Don’t be! Only subscribe to the communications you want, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
- The Carpentries Slack(Join Link) (Slack Quickstart Guide)
- Email Mailing Lists (Mailing List Directory)
- Monthly Newsletter - The Carpentries Clippings(Subscribe)
- Social media: Follow our organisation’s activities on
How Do I Get Involved?
Whether you have a little or a lot of time, there are many ways to contribute and engage with us.
- Community Events: Topics range anywhere from teaching workshops and developing curricula to building local communities and assessing the impact of our workshops globally. You can find a full list of The Carpentries activities on our community calendar.
- Regional Community Sessions: Join a call with others from your region.
- Volunteering: If you are not yet sure how you would like to engage, check out the Get Involved page on our website for a list of options and opportunities.
If you are already involved in The Carpentries community, you may find another Tip Sheet helpful:
- Carpentries.org: The official website of The Carpentries organisation.
- Handbook: A go-to resource (or support documentation) for all things Carpentries.
- Our Community Glossary: Glossary that defines common terms used in The Carpentries community
If you have questions, please get in touch with our Core Team by email or join our Director of Community for office hours. We are here for you as you begin your journey with our organisation. Welcome!