Community Discussions are designed for everyone in The Carpentries community interested in learning, educating and advocating for teaching foundational coding and data science skills globally. Discussion topics range anywhere from teaching workshops and developing curricula to building local communities and assessing the impact of our workshops globally.
Community Discussions are free and open to anyone. They provide opportunities to connect with The Carpentries community. There are three types of Community Discussion:
Pre- and Post-Workshop Discussions These discussions are designed for those getting ready to teach or having recently taught to come discuss their workshop with the community. They occur twice per week.
Themed Discussion Sessions These discussions are centered around a particular topic ranging anywhere from teaching your first workshop to community building strategies. They occur once per month.
Carpentries Conversations These Conversations are hosted by one of our Committees or Task Forces to provide the community with the opportunity to learn about and discuss new developments and programs in our organisation. They occur once per month.
Attend any Community Discussion by signing-up on the community-discussions Etherpad.
Interested in hosting a Community Discussion? Complete our call for community discussion facilitators form!
- The Carpentries Teaching of GitHub - Curriculum Advisory Group (2019-12-16 and 2019-12-23)
- Undergraduate Data Science Curriculum at UC Berkeley - Eric Van Dusen (2019-12-04)
- New Zealand Carpentries Chat - Megan Guidry (2019-10-15)
- The Carpentries Canadian Community Discussion - John Simpson (2019-10-07)
- The Carpentries Community Champions Call - Jonah Duckles (2019-09-22): Blog Post
- Carpentries Community Discussion on PREreview.org - Daniela Saderi (2019-09-28): Video
- Constructing The Carpentries Community in Canada - John Simpson and James Desjardins (2019-05-22): Video, Slide Deck
- Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility Roadmap - Kari L. Jordan (2019-05-21): Video, Slide Deck
- The Carpentries in Australia - Damien Irving (2019-04-01)
- #CarpentriesConversation: CarpentryCon 2020 - CarpentryCon Task Force (2019-03-20): Video
- The Carpentries in New Zealand - Megan Guidry (2019-03-11): Notes, Slide deck
- What Is New with Library Carpentry - Chris Erdmann (2019-02-28): Video, Slide deck
- #CarpentriesConversation: What Happens During a Code of Conduct Investigation? - Karin Lagesen (2019-01-31): Video, Slide deck
- Delivering Exercises to Learners with Load Magic - Sarah Brown (2018-11-7): Blog Post
- My first workshop: Navigating unpredictable learning environments - Kari L. Jordan (2018-04-24): Notes
- Best use of the etherpad in your workshop - Toby Hodges (2018-04-20)
- Building a Local Carpentries Community: instructors, Helpers, Learners and Advocates - Jamie Hadwin (2018-04-18)
- Interpreting and acting on feedback and pre-/post-workshop assessments - Toby Hodges (2018-04-10)
- How to run a workshop with no money - Anelda van der Walt (2018-03-23)