In the search for qualified candidates to serve on The Carpentries Executive Council, every member of The Carpentries community is encouraged to participate in the process, by nominating themselves or a qualified individual for one of the seats coming up for election.
The Executive Council is the governance body for The Carpentries, and is responsible for strategic and organisational planning. The members of the Executive Council serve two year terms, and are elected by either the community or Executive Council.
Carpentries leaders are needed! Do you have:
- A desire to join Carpentries leaders from around the world in shaping the future of The Carpentries and assuring our continued success?
- A desire to expand your sense of contribution to The Carpentries on a global scale?
- A desire and willingness to serve and represent the entire organisation?
- Knowledge and experience that will assist The Carpentries Executive Council in strategically leading and guiding the organisation?
If yes, then The Carpentries needs YOU!!
The Carpentries community elects two members to the Executive Council each year. These candidates must self-nominate, and must already be voting members in The Carpentries. Any individuals who are not successful in the community election may be automatically considered for Council-elected positions. Nominate yourself for a community-elected position using this form. Your answers to this form will be published in a blog post announcing all candidates for the community election. You can view examples of nomination posts in this list of previous candidates. You will also have the opportunity to record a three minute video to be shared with the community.
Council-elected positions are elected by the Executive Council; two to three members are elected each year from these nominations. Three council-elected positions are open for the 2021 Executive Council. Anyone may nominate someone for council-elected positions, and the nominee does not need to be previously affiliated with The Carpentries to serve in these positions. The Executive Council will contact candidates nominated for Council-elected positions to ensure they are prepared to serve if elected. Nominate someone for a Council-elected position using this form.
Nominations for both Community-elected and Council-elected positions close on November 22, 2020, Anywhere on Earth (AoE).
Please review the FAQ below prior to submitting a nomination as well as the elections timeline (Point 7)
Carpentries Executive Council Election FAQ
The Carpentries Executive Council’s election process is determined by The Carpentries Bylaws. Below are several frequently asked questions that will help you understand the process.
1. What does the Carpentries Executive Council do?
The Carpentries Executive Council is the governance body of The Carpentries organisation. It is responsible for strategic and organisational planning, selecting the Executive Director and evaluating their performance, financial oversight, identifying revenue streams and resource development, approving and monitoring The Carpentries programs and services, and enhancing The Carpentries’ public image. Members of the Council also serve as advocates and ambassadors for the organisation, leveraging their networks to benefit the organisation’s reputation and fundraising. The Executive Council executes these responsibilities through a combination of monthly Executive Council meetings and regular correspondence and collaboration via email and online platforms.
2. What expertise does the Executive Council need?
In general, Executive Council members possess some of the following characteristics: Experience with non-profit finances and fundraising, especially with regards to sustainability Experience with developing sponsorship programs and working with corporations Familiarity with non-profit and open source governance Membership in or previous experience working with diverse communities Understanding and passion for The Carpentries Mission and Vision Time to participate fully in Executive Council and other Carpentries activities Previous experience at the Executive Council/Board level
3. How long is the Executive Council term and when does it start?
The term for Council members is two (2) years, with new terms beginning on February 1st, following the election. Terms are staggered so that approximately half of the community-elected and half of the Council-elected members are elected each year.
4. How much time would I need to commit to serving on the Executive Council?
The Executive Council meets online at least ten (10) times per year – usually once a month – for 60-90 minutes. Members are expected to attend at least 75% of these meetings. The Council typically meets face-to-face once a year (with remote options available for those unable to travel for any reason), and members need to make themselves available to participate in this event. Ad hoc groups may meet in addition to this, and individual members will be responsible for taking on work between meetings. The Chair and Treasurer, which are elected from Board members, spend considerable additional time on Carpentries matters. See our yearly timeline for more details on our general activities and when they take place.
5. Are Executive Council members compensated?
Council members are not compensated for their contributions to The Carpentries, with the exception of administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs related to their duties on the Executive Council. This generally covers our one in-person meeting per year, but does not cover travel to CarpentryCon or other Carpentries-related events.
6. How do I know if I am a voting member?
Only voting members of The Carpentries can vote in the election and self-nominate for community-elected positions. To be a voting member, you must meet one of the following conditions:
- Every individual who has completed instructor or trainer certification in the past year (November 25, 2019 - November 22, 2020)
- Every individual who has completed their instructor certification in the last two years (between November 24, 2018 and November 22, 2020) and has taught at least one Carpentries workshop (Library Carpentry, Data Carpentry, Software Carpentry).
- Every individual who is a certified instructor or trainer and has taught at least two workshops of The Carpentries in the past two years (between November 24, 2018 and November 22, 2020)
- Any individual who has participated on a committee, served as a Carpentries Mentor or Maintainer, or otherwise made a significant contribution, to any Lesson Program or The Carpentries organisation in the past year, as determined on a case-by-case basis by the Executive Council, and thus is considered active in the community.
7. What is the timeline for the elections?
October 13, 2020: nominations open
November 22, 2020: nominations close
Late November: Blog posts and videos from candidates for community-elected positions are available to the community, confirmation emails for voting status sent November 30 - December 9, 2020: voting is open for community-elected positions December Executive Council Meeting: Executive Council votes on Council-elected candidates January: Executive Council announces 2021 Executive Council
If you are not sure if you are a voting-eligible member, log in to AMY and see if records show that you are eligible based on the criteria above.
If your record needs updating, you need help logging into AMY, or have any questions, please email email@example.com. If you have taught workshops that are not registered, please include a link to the workshop website(s) in your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will also be sending out an email to each instructor with their status before voting opens.