36 lessons will be published, which ones will you contribute to?
The Carpentries lessons continuously change and improve through individual contributions from Instructors, workshop helpers, learners, and other users of the lessons. These contributions are guided by our lesson Maintainers, who also participate in and often lead large-scale updates to their lessons. To provide tangible credit for the work done by Maintainers and other contributors, we periodically publish our lessons on Zenodo, which provides a citable work product (DOI) that contributors can put on their CV or resume. Since our last coordinated lesson release in August 2017, many Library Carpentry lessons have become stable and ready for their first release. Several Software Carpentry and Data Carpentry lessons have also had major updates during this time period and are ready to release a new version.
The Maintainers for the following thirty-six lessons are preparing for publication next month. If you’ve been interested in getting involved with your favourite lesson, now is a great time to take the plunge! There will be a lot of activity on these lessons between now and 3 June as things get finalised for release. In many cases, Maintainers have created a “to-do” list that they’re actively seeking contributions for, so there’s a good entry point if you’re not sure where to get started. Click the links below to see where Maintainers are seeking contributions.
Data Carpentry Lessons in English
- Social Science Workshop Overview
Data Analysis and Visualization with R for Social Scientists
- Geospatial Workshop Overview
- Introduction to Geospatial Concepts
- Introduction to R for Geospatial Data
- Ecology Workshop Overview
- Data Organization in Spreadsheets for Ecologists
- Data Analysis and Visualization in Python for Ecologists
- Genomics Workshop Overview
- Project Organization and Management for Genomics
- Introduction to the Command Line for Genomics
- Data Wrangling and Processing for Genomics
- Introduction to Cloud Computing for Genomics
- Data Analysis and Visualization in R
All of the Data Carpentry Genomics lessons will be participating in a BugBBQ hacky day on 1 June, hosted by Jason Williams and Uwe Hilgert at the University of Arizona, USA. To get involved with the BugBBQ and contribute in tandem with others, check out their blog post.
Data Carpentry Lessons in Spanish
Library Carpentry Lessons
Software Carpentry Lessons in English
- Version Control with Git
- Plotting and Programming in Python
- Programming with Python
- R for Reproducible Scientific Analysis
- Programming with R
- The Unix Shell
- Using Databases and SQL
- Version Control with Mercurial
- Automation and Make
- Programming with MATLAB
Software Carpentry Lessons in Spanish
The Carpentries Lessons
Dialogue & Discussion
Comments must follow our Code of Conduct.